Read Time 5 Minutes, 20 Seconds

Only some people are obligated to pay Collection House Debt Collectors, but brushing them off isn’t intelligent either. Please address this to avoid snowballing into a serious issue. So, what’s the one thing you must do when you get that Letter from Collection House? Stay tuned…

Yusuf Khan
Last updated on 20 September 2023
Fact Checked

Table of Contents

1. Why Have I Received a Letter from Collection House?
2. Are Collection House Debt Collectors a Legitimate Company?
3. The Letter Is in My Name, but I Do Not Own the Debt, What Can I Do?
4. What Happens If I Ignore the Letter?
5. What Do I Do If a Collection House Debt Collector Comes to My Home?
6. What Do We Mean by Vulnerable?
7. Can Collection House Take My Goods to Pay My Debt?
8. What Can I Do If I Cannot Pay?
9. How Do I Contact Collection House?
10. What Can I Do If I Am Unable to Come to an Arrangement with Collection House?
11. Key Points
12. FAQ


Why Have I Received a Letter from Collection House?

If you receive a letter from Collection House debt collectors, it indicates a formal notification that you owe a debt. Also, this debt could be related to unpaid bills, credit cards, or other financial obligations. 

In fact, the letter will include the amount you owe and the company to whom you owe. Still trying to figure out why you’ve received it? Read on to discover more.

Are Collection House Debt Collectors a Legitimate Company?

The shortest answer I can give you is Yes; Collection House is a legitimate UK-based debt collection agency. But let’s deeply look into them to understand them much better.

They are authorised to collect debts and have a registered licence for consumer credit services for over 22 years. Also, they are registered and operate on a no-win, no-fee basis, making them an accurate and credible entity. Further explaining, the debt collectors will not charge the original company any fees if they fail to recover the debt.

Accordingly, Collections House Limited, with the company number 04110830, was founded in 2000, and Collection House is a registered trademark of that firm. In addition, their legally authorised services can be listed as 

1. Credit checking services
2. Tracing services
3. Outsourced Credit Control
4. “No collection, No Fee” Debt Recovery Service
5. Other Legal services

Moreover, this company is registered with the UK’s Chartered Institute Of Credit Management and Financial Conduct Authority. Their valid consumer credit licence is the proof of all these statements.

The Letter Is in My Name, but I Do Not Own the Debt, What Can I Do?

You might feel a sudden surge of panic when you first open that Letter from Collection House. You might wonder: What is this loan, and why is it tied to my name? But take a deep breath first before making any snap decisions. Always take action if you can. Here’s how to handle this challenging circumstance with ease.

Don’t Ignore the Letter

The first thing you should know is this: ignoring the Letter won’t make it go away. Even if you are sure the debt isn’t yours, putting the Letter aside could cause more issues later. Understanding the potential consequences before ignoring a debt collector’s Letter is essential. So, let’s take a quick look at that.

  • Negative impact on your credit score
  • Also, it creates more difficulties in securing loans or credit in the future.
  • You have to face more legal actions with time.
  • As a result, additional interest, late fees, and collection fees will add to your total amount.
  • Negotiating a settlement or payment plan is more complicated if the debt is yours.
  • Continued collection attempts will negatively affect both your physical and mental health.

Accordingly, do you like to imagine yourself in such a more complex situation in the future? I’m sure the answer is No. So, what’s your first move to prevent such a situation?

Reach Out to Collection House

Your immediate action should be to contact Collection House. You can contact them through various modes to ask for clarification on the debt, such as

1. Email
2. Formal Letter
3. Phone call
4. Fax
5. In-Person Meeting
6. Online Portal or Website

Specifically, you’ll want proof verifying that the debt is yours, like an invoice or contract. It’s a crucial step, so don’t skip it. 

Reach Out to Collection House through phone

Demand Proof or Rectification

Requesting validation for the debt they have been mentioned will ensure the debt is legitimate and accurate. On this occasion, this will claim that the debt is yours and that the amount owed is correct. Moreover, it will identify potential identity theft or errors in the debt records.

Knowing what should be included in a debt verification will become a plus point in your debt recovery journey.

  • The outstanding amount
  • The original creditor
  • The date the debt was incurred
  • The information of the debtor
  • Proof of Identity, the debtor
  • Any reference numbers or account numbers associated with the debt

If Collection House can’t show you valid proof, or if you find discrepancies in the documents they present, they must rectify the error. They are obligated by law to correct any false information. So, where do you go from here?

File a Dispute

You can formally file a dispute with Collection House and ask them to remove the incorrect information. This could include providing them with evidence proving you do not owe this debt. And yes, they are required to investigate the matter. 

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is here to regulate debt collection agencies. Therefore, you can always submit a complaint through their online portal on their official website. It will make things easier for you.

The question now is, what happens if they don’t comply?

Raise a Complaint

As mentioned, you can formally complain if Collection House does not correct the error after your dispute. Still, needs to be satisfied? Well, there’s another path.

Turn to the Financial Ombudsman Service

You can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service as a last resort. This independent body can give a final verdict on your case, and Collection House must abide by it. But there’s more to consider.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) is a free and easy-to-use service that helps resolve disputes between consumers and financial companies. You can always complain based on two situations related to debt issues.

1. First, If the debt collector doesn’t reply
2. Second,  you’re not happy with their final response

According to the rules and regulations of FOS, you can create a complaint file if you are still waiting to receive a response within eight weeks.

But, some restrictions are involved when they start to work on your complaint. They can not be a part of some complaints because there are some cases they can not proceed with.

  • Complaints affected by a time limit
  • Complaints about non-UK businesses
  • Also, complaints that involve court action
  • Next, complaints from other organisations not included in their list

So, always think wisely before taking any action. 

Legal Actions Are the Last Resort

If nothing else works, legal action against Collection House should be your last resort. But remember, this can be both time-consuming and demand high cost. So, it’s essential to analyse your options carefully. 

Check for Statute-Barred Debt

Always check if the debt is statute-barred, which means it’s too old to be enforced. For most of the UK, that period is six years; in Scotland, it’s five. 

Further explaining, it can be described as a type of debt that is no longer legally enforceable due to the duration of time and the statute of limitations applicable in a particular jurisdiction. 

If the debt is statute-barred, you can write to Collection House asking them to cease any other action. Intrigued? Also, in such a case, always be aware of their legal rights and responsibilities. 

Read on to find out what happens if you ignore the Letter.

What Happens If I Ignore the Letter?

Ignoring the Letter from Collection House is a risky decision. Not responding could escalate the situation and lead to further collection activities. You might even have Collection House agents show up at your door, and trust us, that’s not an experience you want to deal with. 

What Do I Do If a Collection House Debt Collector Comes to My Home?

If a Collection House debt collector shows up, remember, you have rights. First, they can only enter your home if you let them in. Second, you can ask them to show identification and write down their name. 

It is crucial to remember that you should only make payments after verifying the details at that moment. You can always request verification; they must provide it within a specific time frame.

Sometimes, debt collectors can behave unpleasantly or aggressively. But it would be best if you did not stay under pressure in that situation. The best action is to remain calm and properly complain to the relevant financial regulatory body with all the records as proof.

However, If you agree to a payment arrangement, doing it directly over the phone with Collection House is safer. Are you intrigued about who’s considered vulnerable in debt situations? You’ll find out soon.

can Collection house debt collector come to your house

What Do We Mean by Vulnerable?

Being categorised as ‘vulnerable’ can vary from having mental health issues to experiencing a recent loss or struggling with addiction. In addition, I will give more examples of how we can consider someone a vulnerable Debtor. If someone have 

1. Suffered a recent bereavement
2. Mental health issues
3. Learning difficulties
4. Communication difficulties
5. Low-Income Individuals
6. Unemployed or Underemployed Individuals
7. Dementia or other health issues that make understanding your options difficult
8. An addiction can be known as a vulnerable person in debt-related issues.

In such cases, you have special protections and can seek help from organisations like Citizens Advice or StepChange. And about those goods you’re worried about losing.

  • Citizens Advice – This is a network of local charities that offer confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person for free. Their support is divided into several sections, including:
  • 1. consumer helpline
    2. Witness Service
    3. pension guidance
  • StepChange – this is known as a leading debt advice charity in the UK, providing free and impartial debt advice and solutions by starting with working out a budget with you. 

Can Collection House Take My Goods to Pay My Debt?

No, Collection House cannot take your goods. They also can’t legally enter your home without your consent. 

However, if your debt rises and court actions are taken at some point, a bailiff might take your goods. Do you have options if you can’t pay? Absolutely, and they’re coming right up.

What Can I Do If I Cannot Pay?

You’ve received that dreaded Letter from Collection House, and after digging through your finances, you realise you can’t pay the debt. Panic sets in. But wait, there’s a way out of this seemingly impossible situation. What should you do first at that moment? Let’s find out.

Check for Statute-Barred Debt

First things first, could this debt be too old to enforce? As I have shown, in most of the UK, a debt becomes ‘statute-barred’ after six years and in Scotland after five years. If it’s statute-barred, you can write to Collection House and request them to cease further actions. But what if your debt isn’t that old?

Seek Expert Advice

As I have said, organisations like Citizens Advice or StepChange offer invaluable resources for those in debt. They can help you explore debt solutions such as Debt Management Plans (DMP) or Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVA)

This section will give you a brief introduction to these two options.

  • Debt Management Plans (DMP): DMP is a formal agreement between you and your creditors or debt collectors to settle your debts. In brief, you can always contact a debt management company authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and there are two fees collected from you for the service.
  • 1. A set  up fee
    2. A handling fee each time you make a payment.

These fees depend on the company you choose. Remember, Debt Management Plans only cover the ‘unsecured’ debts.

  • Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVA): This is also a formal agreement with your creditors, and you will make regular payments to an insolvency practitioner, who will divide this money between your creditors. 

This method also applies to the fees mentioned above. The special note is that insolvency practitioners can bankrupt you if you cannot continue the payments.

Contact Collection House for Options

If professional advice points you in that direction, your next move is to contact Collection House. They may offer payment plans or even temporary freezes on the account. Discuss your options and try to reach a compromise. 

Negotiating plans with debt-collecting agencies can be challenging, but I would like to give some essential tips to make your situation much more manageable in the future.

  • Gather  and analyse all relevant information about the debt 
  • Review your current financial situation carefully
  • Communicate Promptly with debt collectors
  • Discuss the possible plans with them
  • Remain respectful and professional throughout the negotiation process
Negotiate a Payment Plan

Keep hope that Collection House is flexible with its initial repayment options. You can negotiate a payment plan that’s easier on your pocket. Can you deal with a debt collection agency? Absolutely, and here’s how.

Negotiate a Payment Plan

Propose an Alternative Solution

At this stage, propose an alternative repayment method. For instance, suggest a more manageable monthly instalment plan if they ask for a lump sum payment. You have plenty of options to discuss with your debt collector, and here are some of them.

  • Consolidate debt: this will help to combine multiple debts into one manageable payment.
  • Prioritise Debts: you can prioritise debts based on interest rates or urgency and try to pay high-interest debts first.

Remember, it’s in Collection House’s interest to get paid, even if it’s not the total amount. But what if they still don’t agree?

Challenge Unfair Practices

If you feel Collection House’s practices are unfair or their charges excessive, you can challenge this. As noted, file a complaint and ask for a total debt breakdown, including any charges. Intrigued? So, keep reading to discover what happens if they reject your proposal.

Formal Complaint and Financial Ombudsman Service

Just like in the case of a disputed debt, if Collection House refuses to cooperate, you can file a formal complaint. Hence, if that doesn’t resolve the issue, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) becomes your next stop. They can issue a decision that the Collection House must follow. 

How Do I Contact Collection House?

Phone 01225 762044
Email  response@collectionhouse.co.uk
Address Collection House Ltd, The Long Barn, Paxcroft Courtyard Hilperton, Trowbridge BA14 6JB
Website www.collectionhouse.co.uk
Office Opening Hours  Monday to Friday: 9 am – 5 pm

What Can I Do If I Am Unable to Come to an Arrangement with Collection House?

Not being able to make an arrangement is stressful but not the end of the road. Options like Debt Management Plans or Individual Voluntary Arrangements are available. We have already discussed these methods in detail and hope that information will help you at some point in this journey. These methods consolidate your debts into more manageable monthly payments. 

Act wisely when you are trying to manage your debt issues

Key Points

  • Legitimacy of Collection House: Collection House operates as a legitimate debt collection agency in the UK, primarily working on a no-win, no-fee basis.
  • Statute-Barred Debts: If a debt is too old (6 years in the UK, 5 in Scotland), it might be ‘statute-barred,’ meaning it can’t be legally enforced. Check this first when you receive a letter from Collection House.
  • Ignore at Your Peril: Ignoring a letter from Collection House is a dangerous path to take. Contact them as soon as possible to discuss your situation and verify whether you owe the debt.
  • Debt Not in Your Name: If the debt Collection House is contacting you about isn’t yours, they must rectify the situation. So, ask for proof, like an original invoice or contract.
  • Expert Financial Advice: If you can’t pay the debt, consult organisations like StepChange or Citizens Advice for practical solutions on how to handle it.
  • Negotiating with Collection House: Contrary to popular belief, you can arrange payment plans with Collection House. It’s in their interest to recover as much as possible, even if it’s only part of the total amount.
  • Agents Can’t Seize Goods: Collection House agents do not have the legal right to enter your home or take your goods without court permission.
  • Exploring Alternative Solutions: Multiple solutions exist if you can’t pay. Moreover, this could include Debt Management Plans (DMP), Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVA), and more. Collection House may even offer temporary freezes or reductions in your repayments.
  • Challenging Unfair Practices: You can challenge any unfair practices, fees, or charges levied by Collection House. In fact, the Financial Ombudsman Service can intervene if disputes are unresolved.
  • Contacting Collection House: The company is approachable, and you can reach it to negotiate payments, verify debts, or dispute any issues. Communication lines are open.
  • Legal Debt Write-Offs: Many people in the UK can legally write off some of their debt through procedures like IVAs or declaring bankruptcy. So, consult professional advice to explore this avenue.


Is Collection House a Legitimate Company?

Yes, Collection House is a legitimate debt collection agency operating within the UK. They work primarily on a no-win, no-fee basis.

What Should I Do If I Receive a Letter from Collection House?

Don’t ignore the Letter. Contact Collection House to verify the debt and discuss your options, which may include setting up a payment plan.

The Letter from Collection House is in My Name, But I Don’t Own the Debt. What Should I Do?

Immediately contact Collection House and ask for proof of the debt, such as an original invoice or contract. They must rectify the situation if they can’t provide it or it needs to be corrected.

Can Collection House Agents Enter My Home to Seize Goods?

Collection House agents have the legal authority to enter your home or seize your goods with a court order.

I Can’t Pay the Debt. What Are My Options?

First, check if the debt is ‘statute barred.’ It can only be enforced if it is not old (6 years in most of the UK and five years in Scotland). In this case, If that doesn’t apply, consult organisations like StepChange or Citizens Advice for alternative debt solutions.

What Are My Rights When Dealing With Collection House?

You have the right to ask for verification of the debt, negotiate payment plans, and challenge any unfair practices. Also, the Financial Ombudsman Service can help with unresolved disputes.

How Can I Contact Collection House?

Collection House usually provides multiple avenues for contact, including phone numbers and email addresses, in their correspondence. Therefore, use these to contact them and discuss your situation.

Can Collection House Take Me to Court?

Yes, if a debt is verified and you refuse to pay, Collection House can initiate legal proceedings to recover the debt.

Share Me On

Start reducing your debt repayments and regain control...

100 11800